Achieve your potential #496 – Be an Encourager
I had a co-worker in my earlier company who would find faults with everything. Everything. Living and non-living. Movable and immovable. Everything had something was worthy of error. And it stressed him out so much, that he would be depressed about just about everything. And worse, make everyone else around him depressed.
This barrage of negative messages happens in everyone’s work life -every day.
I have also seen employees in my career who are the exact opposites. They typically find something positive even in darkest situation. They reach out and talk to people who are struggling. Support them and encourage them. They bring positive energy whenever you meet them or see them. They make a big difference!
The world needs such people. Because there are so few of them around.
Let us work towards building a new habit. Most of us can live this positive life.
Become an Encourager!
Reach out to team members and encourage them. “I can see you are doing an excellent job”, can do wonders to a person’s day. Someone who is down and out, let them look at the stuff they have done well. Focus their energies on
Here are tips that could help you get started –
- Be specific – It is important to be precise and specific when you encourage people. People can relate to what specific comments and not find general comments relevant.
- Be genuine – Any encouragement needs to come from the heart. Don’t say things you don’t mean. Just because someone needs encouragement does not mean they can’t see someone who is lying. Make every comment you make genuine to the person.
- Be timely – Offering encouragement when people need it works better than doing it later.
- Appreciate them formally to their boss and write a note on their work.
- Tell people how they’ve encouraged you – Tell anyone who has touched you in some way. They will appreciate it and gives them a boost of confidence.
- Be random – This is nothing something you want to put in your calendar (10AM-11AM- Plan to encourage two people). Encouragement should be random and should be done anytime during the day (or night) and anywhere.
This is an opportunity to make a difference.
To people around you.